The Seventh Beacon: TV During Strike Season

Monday, January 28, 2008

TV During Strike Season

When I first heard that the Writer’s Guild was going on strike, I experienced what one might call phantom withdrawal. Being invested in a few TV shows, I began to wonder if I could go without it for a year…

Surprisingly, I’ve barely noticed! I watched the disappointing, rocky journey of Heroes’ second volume. I wondered whether Lost could truly win me back (and I guess I’ll find out soon enough, as the new episodes start airing this Thursday). I got a taste of the new Bionic Woman, a dash of the Office’s 4th year, and now the new late-season show Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I even kept watching Smallville, even if only for the women (The writing may be shit, but Supergirl… Supergirl!).

Now, I don’t watch my television on the TV any more. I absolutely hate commercials, and the Internet has offered an alternative source, which I’ve gravitated to for the last few years. Episodes available online, without the annoying inundation of advertising, are also over a good 15 minutes or so shorter for your hour-long fare, so I’m even saving time! It does mean I’ve ventured into an ethically gray area, but I’m willing to continue that because, when I do enjoy a show, I pick up the seasons on DVD. Good stuff gets my money. It’s that simple.

And without so much new TV to watch, I find I spend far less time on my computer these days, and that can’t be a bad thing. But, with this dry patch, I’ve turned to DVD seasons, and enjoyed the ride.

Currently, I’ve been watching the first two seasons of Boston Legal… not the kind of thing I usually gravitate to. But with the high praise from my friend (and lawyer in training) Syed, coupled with a sale that offered the seasons at half the normal price, I made that leap, and have enjoyed it far beyond my initial expectations. It has all the richness and depth of West Wing, and all of the characters are amazingly brought to life by a slew of talented actors. William Shatner’s portrayal of Denny Crane alone has greatly improved my opinion of him... I’m even starting to understand his… unique comedic sensibilities.

Alan Shore, the protagonist, is by no means a paragon, and is my new favorite character in a very, very long time. Played expertly by James Spader, we see him take on the ugly cases that are usually portrayed in television and movies from the other side of the courtroom. We see the morally ambiguous life he’s led, and the toll it’s taken. And by the end of almost every episode, the examinations of the ethical issues have forced me to reevaluate my own moral standings and opinions. Any show that can do that has my blessing; because it’s the stories that force you to think and reshape your world view that are the highest form of art.

And to think, I may not have discovered this show if there hadn’t been a strike.

Now, I certainly hope the Writer’s Guild gets it’s fair share of the profits being made in the new digital millennium, but in hindsight I’m glad the strike has happened. (But really, it can end now. Please...)

And if you weren’t aware, many major TV shows are on DVD and can be rented from your local movie store - or better yet, library - just as easily! Rejoice, and imagine a world of entertainment without incessant advertising!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I have been renting TV for a long time now! Or borrowing from friends. I work all nights anymore, so even without writers being on strike I miss most TV. All hail the local video stores/libraries!*



*Except Blockbuster, for it is the devil!

Decision '08 Presidential Results

Michigan '08