The Seventh Beacon: The First Two Weeks

Friday, January 25, 2008

The First Two Weeks

Because I know... know! That I won't always be topping myself, I thought it best to tackle the mundane right away. I just don't have the desire or energy to write a daily essay. And I didn't want to raise false expectations of my writing skills or ability to pump out fancy material.

Today marks the end of my first two weeks at my new job. I work at Butterworth Hospital, and I have to say, it's been an incredibly rewarding experience thus far. It beats the mundanity of JC Penney catalog orders, and you actually feel like you're a part of something larger than yourself. I am not only getting paid to do work (which helps me), but make the process a smooth one for patients (which helps others). I get a lot more out of this than a paycheck, and since I'm inclined to enjoy serving others, it seems like an ideal fit.

For those who know me from my many years working at Goldmine Comics... I will still be there! Even if I'm only working one Sunday a month, or the occasional Wednesday morning for new comic day, I will still be around. As it is, I'm still running the World of Warcraft trading card game tournaments each Sunday, and it doesn't look like my new schedule will conflict with it.

And why am I still working there? For one, Rocky is willing to keep me on, even for such minimal and transitory shifts. Thank you, Rocky! Also, I love, and have always loved working with comics. I've been reading them since I was in Third Grade, and I don't see myself ever not reading them!

Anyway, working at Butterworth has already started to shape me a little. Since I'm always wearing dress clothing, and keeping myself clean-shaven every day, I've noticed little changes in my demeanor. I guess you really do act like you dress. Who knew.

I'm also, it appears, a lot happier. Others noticed it first, but now I do as well. Maybe it's because I feel like I'm no longer parked in neutral, and am actually able to do things like save for my future and afford my own vehicle. I do find it odd, though, because I didn't really consider myself unhappy before this.

I'm sure that many entertaining stories will come from working there, and I'll even be able to give you those highlights, as long as I don't reveal names or other specifics. That is the law, after all, and I have no intention of violating HIPAA.

Oh, and my first paycheck? That arrives on Friday.

No comments:

Decision '08 Presidential Results

Michigan '08